Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Butternut Squash Alfredo with Bacon

   

 I bought a clearance can of butternut squash the other day because it was clearance. I have a slight to major problem when it comes to clearance, especially clearance food but it makes things interesting.  
     Before I started I tasted the butternut, its pretty blain and the texture is less than desirable being that it is fiber rich, so mixing it into something else was key. I also googled some different recipes for butternut and when I found it paired with bacon I knew what to do.



     First I gathered my ingredients and I cut three slices of bacon into one inch squares and put it into a skillet on medium-high heat for about three minutes before putting my thinly sliced chicken in. I aslo added garlic at this point.




      Let your bacon and chicken cook through and get a nice brown. It takes about seven minutes.



     Then add reduced sodium chicken broth and simmer for another five minutes. You don't want to skip this step because the fast cooking of the chicken slices with the bacon will dry out the chicken so be patient and let it simmer.


    Next step is to add the canned milk or cream or the milk you have in your fridge, the can of butternut puree and freshly grated nutmeg. I can not stress enough the importance of fresh nutmeg in alfredo!



    After everything is well incorporated you can lower the temperature and add cheese. A basic rule thumb when making alfredo sauce is to add the same amount of cheese as you have in liquid. Ryan, Beau and I however, are all on diets ;) so I go with half of the amount of cheese. After adding the cheese be sure to take it off of heat so the oils don't separate.


     Serve over penne pasta, whole grain is tasty, top with some cheese and parsley and enjoy! We did!

    Recipe


3 chicken breasts
3 slices of bacon
2 tablespoons of garlic
1 1/2 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup of milk, cream or evaporated canned milk
1- 15oz. can of butternut puree
1 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
some peppa
1 cup italian blend shredded cheese
fresh parsley for garnish.
6 cups penne noodles

 Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment