Saturday, September 24, 2011

Growing Up

   I have been hanging out with my nephew Michael a lot lately. He is a senior in high school this year and is always going, a lot like I was when I was a senior. The most important things in his life are school, friends and iPods, he really sounds just like me.
   When I was in high school I had a job except for my senior year and during that year I did not spend hardly anytime at home. I had a car, I had my own money and my parents house was basically a place to crash. I had no plans in mind after graduation and no clue where my life was going but I knew I would be okay.
   My nephew seems to be the same but everyone is more concerned about him than they were with me. I guess it has something to do with that he doesn't have a job yet. I suggested the national guard to him once, not knowing that he has been practically harassed by recruiters and his mom and grandma to go into the military and he kind of blew up. That doesn't appeal to him but I think it would be a great idea. The war is over, he would get to travel, make money and go to college for free. The kid is smart and I know there would be a place for him and it would open up other opportunities for him.
   The fact is that it is really easy to suggest career paths and give advise to other people but when it comes down to it, you have to make that choice and at 18 that is not very fair to ask of. I still have not gone to college and I still have no idea what I want to do as a career. I have idea's and there are things that appeal to me but everyone of them is completely different and there are a lot of things that a could do.
   Pretty soon the pressure of having to choice made me rather just give up and not do anything but in reality, I have done so much more than any of my family and peers at my age. How that worked out like that, I am not sure but I am glad that I didn't jump right into college life and start studying towards a major that I would have changed numerous times, eventually getting no where fast.
   I didn't go to college because I was not ready and I think that I made the right choice for myself. Whatever Michael decides is right for his future I am sure will be well thought out and the timing will be right for him. I am proud of who he has grown into and will wait as long as necessary, to see him become a grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment